Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Inside Intelligence: The Art of Becoming Great

Inside Intelligence: The Art of Becoming Great
By: Jasmine Gethers

As stated in, As a boss, are you brave enough to learn how others see you? Being evaluated and learning how others see you is the key for growth when it comes to your craft.

When I was a sophomore in college, Reporting and Writing was one of the classes I had to take. My initial thought entering this course was that it was going to be effortless. Writing was my first and only love; there was no way I could do horrible in the class.

The first assignment given was to write an article about a family member or close friend. To me it was a breeze. It took me 30 minutes or less to write the article. I turned my paper in thinking I was going to get an “A.” However, when the professor handed me my paper back it was full of red marks and a fat “C” on top  of the page that had the comment, “see me after class” underneath.

I did not know what I did wrong; I thought it was a perfect article. It was one of the best articles I’d written so far that year. After class I stayed to speak with my professor and he said to me, “your writing is good but you can be better.”Bringing me to this point, if there were no red marks on my paper I would have not known that I was doing things wrong. Every writer wants to be great, but the only way to be great is to be critic or evaluated.

No comments:

Post a Comment