Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Intern Diaries: The Voice of Social Media

The Intern Diaries: The Voice of Social Media

On yesterday, while on my lunch break I experienced my first earthquake. I was sitting in a park, near my place of work when the ground started to shake. Like many of the bystanders, I too was confused with what had just happened. Quickly, I reached for my iphone but when I went to call out, I had no dial tone. So I tweeted, in hopes that someone from my immediate family in SC would be able to view the tweet and to know that I was ok. I got a reply from who I thought was my sister but it was my grandmother tweeting from her page. Who knew my grandmother knew how to tweet?

I never realized how much social media had grown until that moment. I knew it was evolving but I had no clue that it reached a different generation until I found a study from PEW Reach Survey Findings about America's Largest Generation and social media.

Social Media has become an important source of communication. 

As we were given the ok to re-enter the buildings, I observed as my colleagues tweeted, text, e-mail and instant message their loved ones. Social media has become our voice when all other communications platform silences us.

No comments:

Post a Comment